What Is Operating System and How Does It Work
By the way, if you want to know more about how many types they are, where they are used, what are their main functions, then you have to read this one “What Is Operating System and How Does It Work” and don’t for forget to read the full articale to understand this.
So Let’s start,
What is Operating System
What is Operating System
Operating System is also called System Software. It is also called OS by short name. This is called the heart of the computer. Operating System is a System Software, which works like Interface between user means you and Computer Hardware.
In simple words you can’t use a computer or mobile without an operating system. When you start your device the OS starts to work immediately, the system directs the computer what to do as you double click on your mouse, syestem tells the computer that asked to play a song or want to open a document.
So this OS is the software with which you run your computer. So whenever you buy a new computer, first of all you have to load Windows 7, 8 or 10 in it from the shopkeeper and after that you take the computer to your home. Otherwise without OS, you can never turn on your computer.
This is also a question, why is it called System Software? If you want to run User Software means Application Software in Computer then they can never run without OS.
This OS helps in using Computer Hardware well. The OS mainly does the same thing as takes some input from the keyboard, processes the instruction, and sends the output to the computer screen.
You see this operating system only when you turn the computer on and when you turn off the computer. You install a lots of Game, MS word, Adobe Reader, VLC Media Player, Photoshop etc in the Software Computer. To run them, you need a program or big software which we call OS.
The name of the OS used in Mobile is Android, which is known by everyone. You must have known what is the Operating System, so let’s know about some of its work.
Function Of Operating System
By the way computer does a lot of work, but firstly when you turn on the computer, then the operating system first loads in the main memory means RAM and after that these user software allocate all the hardware it needs from the cone. Below are the different functions of OS, know more about them in Detail.
- Memory Management
- Processor management (Process Scheduling)
- Device Management
- File Management
- See System Performance
- Error reporting
- Creating synergy between software and user
Memory Management means managing Primary and Secondary Memory. Main memory means RAM is bytes of a very large Array.
Meaning there are a lot of small blocks in memory where we can store some data. Where there is an address of each slot. Main Memory is the fastest running memory that CPU Direct uses. Because all the programs that run the CPU are in main memory only.
The Operating System does all this work.
- Which memory of main memory will be used, which will not be, how much will be, how much will not be.
- In multiprocessing, the OS decides which process will be given memory and how much will be given.
- When OS asks for Process Memory then Memory OS gives it to it (Process means a Task or a small task which is done inside the Computer).
- When the process finishes its work, the OS takes back its memory.
- Tracks all computer devices and the name of the program that makes this task is I / O Controller.
- Just as different processes need devices to do some tasks, the OS also does the work of device Allocate. Take an example, a process has to perform some tasks like playing video, not removing print, then both these tasks will be done with the help of Output Device Monitor, printer. So when both of these devices have to deliver the process, it works by the OS.
- When the process is over, it deallocates the device back.
- Organizes information, location and status. It sees all file systems.
- Who will get which resource?
- Resource De-allocate.
- Task assigns compiler, interpreter and assembler. Connects different software to the user, which makes the user use the software better.
- Provides communication between the user and the system.
- The OS is stored in the BIOS. The rest also makes the application user-friendly.
Characteristics Of Operating System
- An operating system is a collection of many programs, which run other programs.
- It controls all the Input / output Device.
- The operating system is responsible for running all the application software.
- Process scheduling means allocating and deallocate processes.
- Informs you about the errors and threats happening in the system.
- Establishes good synergy between User and Computer Programs.
By now you must all know what the Operating System does (Function of Operating System in Hindi), so let’s now know how many types of OS are there.
Types of Operating System
- Batch Operating System
- Simple Batch Operating System
- Multiprogramming Batch Operating System
- Network Operating System
- Multiprocessor Operating System
- Distributed Operating System
- Time Sharing Operating System
- Real-Time Operating System
- No direct interaction between user and computer.
- The job that comes first is the first process, so the user had to wait more.
2) Network Operating System
- Very high speed because Multiprocessor is used.
- If there are a lot of tasks together, the system throughput increases here. Which means, how many job processes can be done in a second.
- In this OS, Task is divided into sub Task, and each Sub Task is assigned to different Processor, especially this is why a Task is completed in a very short time.
- In this, the OS is given equal opportunity to complete each task.
- It is not easy to have duplicasy of software in it. Which is equal to none.
- CPU idle time can be reduced easily.
- The issue of reliability is seen more in this.
- It takes care of security and integrity of everything.
- The issue of data communication is a common problem in this.