How To Promote Your Website Or Blog For Free With 16 Best Promotion Tactics
How to promote your blog? It’s a good question most marketers struggle with.
Same goes for me, i had that question in mind from day one. I was writing blogs, doing a bit of promotion on facebook etc and then back to work, writing. But i was not getting the result i wanted. only a few visits a day. Then i realized i was doing something wrong. So i did a good research and found out a lot of things a lot of things that never knew. I will discuss some good points here.
If you’re anything like us at PcTrikz, you’re already:
- Trying really hard to write better content that your audience will find extremely useful.
- Working on growing your email list to introduce thousands of new folks to your products and services.
- Focusing on projects that will deliver 10x growth for your business.
I’m actually writing this post because this is a huge area we need to improve at PcTrikz. We write great blog posts, but we could do so much more to promote them. But when I started researching the topic of “how to promote your website or blog” and then promote it without investing any money, I just wasn’t finding a whole lot of ideas coupled with the real how-to, actionable advice that would really help us find the best blog promotion tactics for us.
So I decided to share this research with you to help you promote your blog better than ever.
Today we will discuss about these topics :-
- Social media (Twitter, Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest)
- Automated content pushes
- Search engine optimization
- Blog post optimization
But Please Remember we will create separate posts for all these topics, because all of these very large topics and separate posts will help you to understand better.
How To Promote Your Blog With Email Marketing :-
1> Build Your Email List.
As we know at PcTrikz, we focus on converting our traffic into email subscribers because they’re more likely than any other audience type to become regular users. So try to do the same, and build your email list.
Growing your email list is an amazingly vicious cycle. You get subscribers, email them when an article goes live, they go read it and then share it with people. Then those people subscribe and the cycle delightfully continues.
2> Send emails to launch your new posts.
This one’s pretty basic, but it’s also super important—send an email to your list to let your subscribers know you published something new.
3> Include links to your blog and your posts in your email signature.
The first time I started chatting with Someone, his email signature caught my eye. So it will work for sure.
How To Use Community To Promote Your Blog :-
4> Participate in aggregate sites and up-vote communities.
If you’ve never heard of aggregate sites before, think of them as a place to go for information from many different sources related to a specific topic. These sites are where you can share your own content and other people’s awesome stuff in your niche to help your community with similar interests.
The up-vote aspect of these communities takes on a social role, giving the site’s users the chance to say it’s good or bad. It’s an awesome way to keep the community strong (and keep the junk content out).
Here are a few great sites with some details you could look into to promote your blog:
- reddit: The legendary front page of the Internet has pages for nearly any topic, and your niche is sure to be present.
- BizSugar: Small business marketing, finance, management, technology, and startups.
- Boxnutt: A little bit of everything.
- Product Hunt: New product content.
- Hacker News: Startup and computer science.
- DataTau: Data science stuff.
- Lobsters: Technology content.
- Triberr: Blogging.
- Inbound.org: Inbound and content marketing.
- Growth Hackers: Startup stuff and disruptive marketing.
5> Answer questions with your blog posts in forums.
Marketers talk about solving people’s problems all the time. There are forums out there dedicated purely to helping people ask questions where they can get expert advice as answers. What an awesome way to connect directly with your audience, provide a bit of your expertise, and link back to your blog for further, in-depth answers!
A common forum marketers love is Quora.
6> Get your blog on social bookmarking sites.
Some folks prefer to find content through popular social bookmarking sites. You can apply to have your blog content present on these sites to help people who are interested in a certain topic discover your posts:
- AllTop: There are tons of categories with one bound to fit your niche. Simply submit your blog to get your content out there for a new audience to check out.
- StumbleUpon: Add your blog to the right category to help people discover your content. Like AllTop, once you’re signed up, you can submit a blog for StumbleUpon to look in to.
- Digg: It’s all about the most talked about information on the Internet. Submit your blog.
How To Promote Your Blog With Social Media :-
7> Share your content in many places.
When you apply that thought to social media, the opportunities are nearly endless, but there are definitely the big ones you don’t want to miss out on:
8> Share your blog posts on social media right when you publish them.
This is a no-brainer way to boost your social media schedule. Right when you publish your blog posts, share them to every one of your business’ social accounts, and also the personal ones you use for business.
The more immediate retweets, likes, and general shares you get, the more credibility the post receives, so kickstarting your shares right when you publish is a great way to encourage even more shares.
Some of your audience may follow you on your various social profiles, so instead of just sending every message with the headline of your post, switch it up to optimize each message for your different social networks. More details on that to come!
How To Promote Your Blog With Automated Content Pushes :-
9> Set up your RSS feed and tell your audience about it.
Your social audience probably follows lots of different folks with their social networks, but some of your more organized audience members may prefer using RSS readers and categorizing the content that they read from their favorite publications.
The good news is that if you’re using WordPress, you already have an RSS feed for your blog posts. Hurray for something easy! All you need to do is add /feed to the end of your root domain for your WordPress blog, and you’ll have your RSS feed.
This is what the RSS URL looks like for PcTrikz’s WordPress blog: https://pctrikz.com/blog/feed. Yours likely looks pretty similar!
RSS readers like Feedly are fantastic ways for you to discover content, organize it in ways that makes sense to you, and generally, never miss a new post from any of the blogs you follow while also not having to visit every site just to catch the newest headlines.
How To Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) To Promote Your Blog :-
10> Target one keyword per blog post to increase your #1–3 SERP rankings by 248%.
The way I see it, choosing keywords to target in your blog posts is one of the most effective ways to promote your blog posts. And once you do it right, much of the traffic will take care of itself (at least initially).
By concentrating on choosing the right keywords—and focusing on a difficulty score we could successfully compete with—we were able to increase our #1–3 SERP rankings by 248%. More than half of our overall traffic comes from search engines because of this method.
The takeaways are:
- Strategically choose a keyword that has lots of monthly searches but is easy enough for you to rank for. Use a tool like Google’s keyword planner to brainstorm your ideas (it suggests lots of great related words), then use Moz’s keyword difficulty tool to run test how difficult it will really be for you to rank for the terms. Choose a keyword with less than 50% difficulty to get started, then iterate from there.
- Publish a long-form, compelling blog post that uses the keyword and variations of it throughout the content. Define rules for your own content based on your performance as to what you feel is compelling—just know that data suggests interactive, actionable content that focuses on education does well, coupled with a length of at least 2,000 words. The post you’re reading right now is more than 14,000 words long—think about it.
Few Tips :
- Use your keyword in your page title tag at the very beginning.
- Add the keyword into your meta description.
- Include the keyword in the H1 (main headline) of your blog post.
- Make sure the keyword is the most frequently used term throughout your blog post.
- Use your keyword often, but make the density feel natural. Google doesn’t like to see your posts looking spammy.
- Look into latent semantic indexing (LSI) keywords in your content. All jargon aside, it means using a few synonyms for your keyword throughout the post. It seems to couple with the point above to not let your keyword density get out of control.
- Use LSI keywords in your page title and meta description when appropriate.
- Use your keyword within the first 100 words of your blog post.
- Use related keywords in subheadings like H2, H3, H4, you get the picture.
- Use the keyword in your URL slug like: https://pctrikz.com/keyword-here
11> Submit to search engines when you publish to get your content indexed quickly
I first read about this idea from Neil Patel since one of the myths of SEO is that Google will find your content and index it. Neil goes on to explain with a metaphor that search engine robots feed on fresh content, and your new blog posts are a tasty treat. You just need to invite them for a meal so they show up. ba-dum-pah
A great way to do this is with the Google XML Sitemap plugin available for WordPress. It’ll generate a sitemap to help Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Ask.com index your new blog posts.
Alternatively, check out Ping-O-Matic to enter in your new blog post URL and choose which search engines you’d like to notify. It’s that easy to get the robots over to your site, and Neil mentions he’s seen blog posts indexed within six hours of using this process.
12> Focus on link building to build trust with search engines
Moz has a great metaphor for links: They’re like votes from other websites that tell search engines they favor your content. Another way to think about it is that links are the streets search engines travel from blog to blog, so the more streets to your content, the better.
Link building works when you publish really great content that people want to reference as a valid source of information. So when you publish your super awesome blog post, you can promote it to help people find it, and ask for their help through backlinks to give your content the attention it deserves.
How To Optimize Your Blog Posts To Increase Your Social Shares And Traffic :-
13> Choose the best headline type to get traffic, shares, and search results
When we analyzed more than 1 million headlines to create the headline analyzer, we found that three types of headlines tended to get the most traffic, shares, and search results:
- How to
14> Include a number in your headline to double your social shares
In a small case study, Ian Cleary of RazorSocial found that including a number in his headlines could double his number of social shares. Although not completely scientific, we’ve experienced similar results at PcTrikz and have chosen to not only try a few more list posts which tend to perform well, but also include numbers that validate why our audience should click to read the actual posts:
Here are few example of headlines that i read when i saw it for the first time –
- 43 Data-Driven Headline Ideas From 1,000 Of The Most Popular Posts
- How To Make An SEO Content Strategy That Will Improve Your #1-3 Results By 248%
- 21+ Easy Ways To Build An Email List That Will Skyrocket By 552% In 1 Year
15> Drive more traffic to your blog with image sharing buttons.
You just put all of the work into creating an infographic among other awesome inline visuals in your blog posts. So optimize the experience to make it easy for your readers to share those images.
We’re big fans of our friends at SumoMe, who have an easy-to-use and install plugin to resolve this challenge immediately: Image Sharer. If you’re looking for something a bit different, it looks like Shareaholic has something similar.
Now You Know How To Promote Your Blog To Get Social Shares, Search Results, And Traffic
16. Publish quality content regularly to grow your traffic.
While it helps to first focus on creating super awesome content that will help you stand out, it’s a fact that publishing more consistent content will help you grow your traffic.
Consistently publishing awesome content builds trust with your audience that they’ll continue to get all of your awesome advice if they just continue coming to your blog. Consistency also helps you publish more content to target more keywords your audience is searching for, which will help you grow your traffic from search engines over time.
After you master those, keep at ’em and add in a few more. Eventually, you’ll start to see the traffic roll in, and I’d love to hear about your success.
You’ve got this! Good luck with your next blog promotion tactics. If you think of something awesome that I’ve missed, let me know in the comments and I’ll add it into the post!
And please do me a little favor and share this guide with others, for there’s a good chance that it will help them with their blogs or websites